Review eligibility for federal financial aid
To receive aid from federal student aid programs, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Have a valid Social Security number
- Have a high school diploma, a General Education Development Certificate (GED), or have completed homeschooling. For more information, visit studentaid.gov/eligibility/basic-criteria.
- Be enrolled as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program
- Have financial need for most federal programs (an exception would be Direct Unsubsidized Loans which are not need-based)
- Make satisfactory academic progress, as determined by the college
- Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan
- Males will be asked on the FAFSA if they have registered or would like to be registered with the Selective Service. The answers do not affect the student's eligibility for federal student aid.