Parking spots and five other advantages to attending summer semester classes
June 01, 2021
Even if you don't list summer school at the top of your list of summer fun activities, it can be a very rewarding experience.
Students who attend summer school find there are several advantages, such as:
- You can get a lot done in a short amount of time. The summer semester is much shorter than the fall or spring semester and courses can be as short as a week, but most last four weeks or a couple of months.
- You get to focus on a subject matter. Summer classes are often conducted several days a week. While attending class every day can be time consuming, some students feel they do better and learn more in summer classes because of the concentrated focus on a topic.
- You may find it easier to enroll in a popular course. There may be less students in the summer competing for the courses that tend to fill up fast. So, it may be a chance to get that course you been trying to enroll in for a while.
- You can earn much-needed credits for graduation. If you have fallen behind on your degree program because of dropped classes or not enrolling in enough credits to finish in four years, the summer semester offers a way to catch up on college credit.
- You will accomplish a lot in a short amount of time. That feeling of accomplishment that comes with having completed a semester of courses comes much quicker with the summer semester.
- You will have less trouble finding a parking spot. If you are attending classes on campus during the summer, you may find it easier to get a parking spot, shop in the bookstore, get lunch in the union, or find a place to study. Because less students attend classes during the summer, you may it easier to take advantage of some of the college's resources.
To make the most of the advantages of summer school, you will need to plan carefully and budget your time. Make sure you study every day and complete the homework so you don't fall behind in the fast-paced summer semester.