Federal Nursing Student Loans
- Low-interest loans for undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need
- Loans are made with government funds through a school's financial aid office, and the school acts as the lender. Not all schools participate in this program.
- You are not responsible for paying the interest on the loan during in-school, grace, and deferment periods
Fixed interest rate of five percent
- $4,000 - last two years of study
- Schools are permitted to increase proportionately the annual maximum amount for students enrolled in a nursing school that provides a course of study within a 12-month period that is more than nine months long.
- Therefore, the annual amount can be more than $4,000.
- Aggregate: $13,000
Deferment and forbearance
If you experience unusual circumstances that make it difficult for you to repay your Nursing Student Loan, contact your school to discuss possible options (which may include deferment, forbearance, or renegotiation).
- School's financial aid office
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration